Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ch. 9-14 (Character Identity)

This post is going to involve a letter which Jal is writing to his mother. It will discuss his experiences and challenges that he has come over since the last time Jal has seen his mother.



Dear mama,

I miss you, I miss your snuggling and warmth you used to give to my siblings and I. I hope that everything with you is okay because I have been worried ever since I thought you were taken away. What a difference my life is without you, challenges arise and I just don't know who to look to. In the last little while which I have been apart from you and the rest of our family I have learnt many things. Something which is most prominent and I have even noticed about myself is I have finally found myself an identity. When you really know yourself things seem to just click in to place like everything is worth living for. Ever since I have been brought to Pinyudu, I have learnt so many life lessons that are going to help me out in the near future. One lesson that I have learnt which seems crazy is "Love, friendship, pity.... all weaken you in war." (pg. 88) After this was acknowledged to me I have decided that chief is right and in order to be successful in war, friendship can no longer last. Mama it has been so long and I can't believe I can't see your face anymore. You would be so proud of what I have accomplished since I agreed to become a child soldier. I have worked through so much, "I was beaten almost every day." (pg. 79) I also worked through tough challenges and more. All to fight for my country and get revenge on what was done to us. I was small but I achieved the best test score. I worked harder than I would have ever imagined that I ever would. "I had the highest rank among the small boys like me and I felt proud." (pg. 91) Ever since I have come here to become a child soldier I was so excited to get my chance to fight. I finally did get my chance to fight but it really didn't feel right at some points to see what had happened to us happen to others. It wasn't right, and thats why I am going back to where I belong, I had to try and escape from war. 

With all my regards,

your loving son

Jal

2 comments:

  1. Steiny,
    Great work here buddy!
    You really did a great job of writing a visual and descriptive letter to Jal's Mom. The quotes you used were very well used to help support your writing and back up the content of your letter. You probably could have talked a bit more of "What happened to others" and how it wasn't righ.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steiny, a creative approach to explaining how Jal's identity is taking shape. You start with a very childlike message about missing his mother, and then take us through his transformation to someone who gave up on friendship and love. It will be interesting to see how his identity continues to change as the story progresses. One thing that could have made this post stronger would be organize your thoughts into paragraphs. This will emphasize the various points that you are making. Good work!

    ReplyDelete